How do we respond to an inspection report?
It’s a business decision if you want to respond to an inspection report and what information you provide in your response; however, we strongly encourage a response.
- Responses should be comprehensive and well organized, utilizing the inspection response template.
- Responses should be timely. Responses are accepted if provided within 30 calendar days from the time the report is issued. Multiple responses are permitted as long as they are sent within 30 days.
- Provide additional information and/or clarification to the inspection report, any records or documentation that were unavailable at the time of the inspection, and any corrective actions taken to address deficiencies. To fully demonstrate corrective actions were implemented, inspection responses may include a description of the actions taken, who is responsible for implementing corrective actions, new or revised procedures implemented, and documentation to evidence the corrective action was implemented such as photographs, records (without Protected Health Information), purchase orders, training records, or other documentation. If the facility needs a long-term strategy to implement a corrective action plan, you can describe the actions planned with a timeline for implementation.
- Provide preventive actions to ensure future and ongoing compliance.
- Respond to questions marked as unknown.