2020 Initiative: Medication-Assisted Treatment
Timothy D. Fensky, RPh, DPh, FACA, NABP President
Promoting pharmacist-provided medication-assisted treatment for patients diagnosed with opioid use disorder (OUD) is the current initiative of NABP President Timothy D. Fensky, RPh, DPh, FACA. This initiative will build on the efforts of the state boards of pharmacy to combat the opioid crisis over the past decade. Furthering existing NABP efforts, including PMP InterConnect, an interstate prescription monitoring data resource, and safe.pharmacy, a consumer-focused website highlighting safe medication practices, will also be an important aspect of this initiative.
In an effort to advance this initiative, Timothy Fensky, along with NABP and its member boards, will be responsible for:
- Urging Congress to pass legislation to allow states to recognize pharmacists as MAT providers;
- Working with NABP members to review applicable language found in the The Model State Pharmacy Act and Model Rules of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (Model Act); and
- Creating a task force to review strategies to drive change on this issue.
Task Force Updates
|The task force will meet virtually later this year to develop action steps to expand the pharmacist’s role in MAT. Check back for updates on the task force.|
Increasing awareness and speaking out about the opioid epidemic are crucial steps to furthering the MAT initiative and reducing OUDs. More information about MAT can be found in the below publications:
- Innovations: August 2020 Newsletter
- NABP Blog: “Pharmacists Are Key to Expanding Access to Medication-Assisted Treatment”
Share the latest resources on social media to help spread the word. Stay up to date with the latest NABP News.
We will be hosting an upcoming webinar about this topic. Submit your email below to receive updates closer to the October webinar.