NABP’s Electronic Licensure Transfer Program® (e-LTPTM) enables licensed pharmacists to easily transfer their existing pharmacist license to one or more states or jurisdictions. We facilitate the licensure transfer process on behalf of our member boards of pharmacy. As part of the process we verify the information you entered in your e-LTP application through NABP e-Profile. Your existing licenses undergo a background check and are screened through NABP Clearinghouse, a national repository of pharmacist information supplied by the state boards of pharmacy. The boards ultimately make the licensure decision based on the information gathered by NABP.
Get started by reviewing the steps below and making sure you meet the requirements of the states where you want to transfer your license.
- Download and review our list of common state restrictions and also check the board’s website for state specific requirements and restrictions. Understand the required fees and documentation.
- Verify the board’s licensure transfer process and determine which application should be submitted first: licensure transfer or MPJE.
- Follow the path required by the board:
- Apply for licensure transfer first. Then, apply for and pass the MPJE.
- Apply for and pass the MPJE first. Then, apply for licensure transfer.
Applications for both licensure transfer and the MPJE can be found in NABP e-Profile.
- Check the board’s website to determine any additional steps, including:
- appearing before the board,
- completing a criminal background check, or
- printing and mailing the completed licensure transfer application to your board.
You are responsible for ensuring that all fees and state documentation is submitted to the board within appropriate timelines. This is not included in the NABP application process.
After completing all necessary steps, you will receive notice from the board of pharmacy regarding the licensure decision.
Pass the Law Exam
Many states require you to successfully complete a law examination before they issue a license by licensure transfer. Check the board of pharmacy website to determine what is required. A majority of jurisdictions require the MPJE. The MPJE is offered by NABP, and you can register for the examination in NABP e-Profile.
If you are seeking licensure in one of the following states, you must pass the MPJE before submitting a licensure transfer application:
- Rhode Island
NABP confirms eligibility for these states, and your passing MPJE score is needed to apply for the licensure transfer application. There is an $85 fee for the eligibility request. Read more about the MPJE and download the NAPLEX/MPJE Candidate Application Bulletin for additional information about taking the MPJE and the eligibility process for these states.
Once you have identified and completed the state-specific requirements, log in to your NABP e-Profile and submit the licensure transfer application. You can start the application and finish it at your convenience. The application will save your progress.
Be prepared to provide the following information in your application:
- A recent, full-faced passport-quality photograph
- Education history
- Practical experience before your original license was issued, such as internship hours
- Examination history
- All pharmacist license information, including active, expired, inactive, or lapsed licenses
- Last three years of pharmacy-related employment
You will also be asked to disclose any disciplinary action taken on your license, including suspension, termination, or revocation to complete the application.
Adding or Changing States
Multiple states can be included in one application, but changes cannot be made once the application is submitted. You may not add, delete, or change one state to another on a submitted application. If you need to make a change to a requested state, you will need to submit a new application after the existing application has been processed by NABP and submitted to the applicable boards of pharmacy.
Allow Time for Processing
We will review your submitted application within three to five business days. Additional time may be needed if you have disciplinary actions against any of your licenses.
Your application will then be sent to the boards of pharmacy, and they will review it, assess your fulfillment of the other requirements, and make a licensure decision. Applicants do not need to contact the board to let them know the application is available. The processing time can vary depending on the board.
Note: Some boards require that you print and mail the application to the board office. Verify this step on the board’s website before you apply.
|Licensure Transfer Application||$375|
|Additional States||$75 each|
Armed Forces Discount
NABP offers discounts for members of the armed forces and their spouses. When you begin your licensure transfer application, you will be given an opportunity to apply for the discount. Requests are not accepted via email. Your discount request must be approved before you submit and pay for your licensure transfer application.
Active members, reserves, and veterans of the armed forces will receive an unlimited number of complimentary licensure transfers. Their spouses will be reimbursed for 50% of the application fee and 50% of the additional state fee. For more details on obtaining an armed forces discount, see the Armed Forces FAQ.
NABP does not provide refunds, credits, or prorated billing for licensure transfer applications that have been submitted to NABP. You will not receive a refund if:
- You request your licensure transfer application be canceled after it has been submitted to NABP.
- You request to cancel one or more states on a licensure transfer application after it has been submitted.
- NABP finds that you do not meet the minimum requirements for licensure transfer and your application is canceled.
- The state board of pharmacy receives your licensure transfer application and rejects your application because you do not meet their requirements for licensure transfer.
If you cancel your application, you will not receive a refund from NABP. If you would like to cancel the licensure transfer application you have submitted, contact us at email@example.com.