Demonstrate the success of your pharmacy’s outcome-based patient care programs and services with our Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation.
NABP’s Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation is a three-year accreditation best suited for pharmacies providing an advanced level of pharmacy services and disease management for patients taking medications that require special handling, storage, and distribution requirements. With an overall emphasis on quality and safety, we provide a robust review of patient management, quality management, and regulatory compliance. Our expert customer service team and educational resources support you on your path towards accreditation.
Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation is ideal for:
- Specialty/mail order pharmacies, hospitals/health systems, pharmacy chains, and independent community pharmacies that meet eligibility criteria.
- Pharmacies that provide pharmacist-coordinated patient education and training, such as promoting adherence and appropriate use of complex, specialty medications.
- Pharmacies that want recognition for demonstrating excellence in quality care that meets NABP’s accreditation standards.
We help you meet regulatory and compliance needs, while maintaining high-quality standards and industry best practices that enhance business and protect patients. Whether NABP Accreditation is new for your business, or you are already NABP accredited and are looking to expand your portfolio, our processes simplify your journey toward Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation. Contact us to learn more.
Seeking participation in the Optum Rx network? As of February 2022, our Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation is now approved by the Optum Rx Specialty Pharmacy Network. Read more about the recognition.
How do I get started?
The first step in the process is to confirm the program meets your pharmacy’s needs and that your pharmacy is able to demonstrate compliance with the eligibility requirements, standards, and on-site survey. Once you deem you are ready for accreditation, you will need to apply. Once your application, supplemental documentation, and specified fees have been received, we will:
Review your supplemental documentation
Verify pharmacy and pharmacist licensure
Conduct an unannounced on-site survey of your pharmacy
Interested in learning more?
Practices that demonstrate compliance and high-quality patient care can earn this voluntary accreditation and better position their business to patients. Complete the accreditation form to request more information.
To apply for an NABP accreditation, businesses must meet basic eligibility requirements. To avoid unnecessary delays, review the Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation eligibility requirements below to determine if you are qualified to apply.
- Must be a licensed pharmacy operating in the United States, with current and active licenses in good standing, in all jurisdictions in which it is conducting business (unless licensure is not required by law) and serving predominately human patients
- Business location must not be a personal residence, and must be operational in all its activities for at least 30 days and in compliance with all state regulations, laws, and rules applicable to the business
- Business must have a licensed pharmacist (ie, responsible person/pharmacist-in-charge) in full and actual charge of the pharmacy operations and personnel
- The pharmacy seeking accreditation is compliant with the following statements now or will become compliant with them during the course of the accreditation process:
- The specialty pharmacy practice has an organizational infrastructure to support the provision of specialty pharmacy care.
- The specialty pharmacy practice has appropriate documents and current licensure required of the specialty pharmacy practice.
- The specialty pharmacy practice provides services that enable patient access to specialty medications.
- The specialty pharmacy practice provides comprehensive benefits investigation, prior authorization assistance, and benefits coordination on behalf of the patients it serves.
- The specialty pharmacy practice provides clinical management services.
- The specialty pharmacy practice facilitates coordinated patient management through enrollment communications to patients and prescribers.
- The specialty pharmacy practice implements a continuous quality improvement program.
- The specialty pharmacy practice reports and evaluates quality outcomes and quality metrics to assess the effectiveness of patient care.
The Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation Standards Overview provides a brief introduction to the set of standards a pharmacy must meet to achieve accreditation. Download the Specialty Pharmacy Accreditation Standards Overview document.
Get started on your path to accreditation by following the steps below:
- Confirm your eligibility
- Review the Standards Summary to confirm that the program meets your business’s needs
- Create and complete a business e-Profile account:
- Review the information needed when creating your business e-Profile
- Read the basic instructions on creating a new business e-Profile
- Use this guide to request access to additional Business e-Profile Accounts, after creating your initial e-Profile
- Once your request has been submitted, it may take up to 3 business days for processing. You can track the status of your request in e-Profile.
- Gather appropriate supporting documents
- Submit the application for one or multiple accreditations
Use the link to log in to NABP e-Profile and start the application process. For basic instructions on submitting your application, read the Application Basics document.
Interested in pricing?
Log in to your business e-Profile account and visit the Instructions and FAQs section to access pricing. Don’t have an account? Create your free business e-Profile account today.