The Tri-Regulator Leadership Collaborative met recently to review, discuss issues of mutual concern and set an agenda of work in the ongoing collaboration between the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB), National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP), and National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
A schedule of work agreed upon during this meeting included:
- Preparation for a historic, joint meeting of the governing boards of each organization on Feb. 5, 2014;
- A proposed position statement on interprofessional team-based care for adoption by each organization;
- Assessing the public protection issues related to practice between and among countries and other international issues related to the regulation of health care practice;
- Encouraging regular dialogue between U.S. medical, pharmacy and nurse licensing boards, including facilitation of dialogue with board members of each respective organization; and
- Planning for the second Tri-Regulator Symposium to be held in 2015.
The FSMB, NABP and NCSBN formalized their advocacy partnership in 2011 with the creation of the Collaborative. Together, their various state member boards regulate a combined 5 million physicians, pharmacists and nurses in the U.S.
About the Organizations
The Federation of State Medical Boards is a non-profit organization representing all medical boards within the United States and its territories that license and discipline allopathic and osteopathic physicians and, in some jurisdictions, other health care professionals. It assists these state and territorial medical boards as they go about their mandate of protecting the public’s health, safety and welfare. The FSMB leads by promoting excellence in medical practice, licensure, and regulation.
The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy is an impartial professional organization that supports the state boards of pharmacy in creating uniform regulations to protect public health. Founded in 1904, the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) is the impartial professional organization that supports the state boards of pharmacy in protecting public health. NABP aims to ensure the public’s health and safety through its pharmacist license transfer and pharmacist competence assessment programs, as well as through its VIPPS, Vet-VIPPS, VAWD, and DMEPOS accreditation programs.
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) is a not-for-profit organization whose members include the boards of nursing in the 50 states, the District of Columbia and four U.S. territories — American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and the Virgin Islands. There are also 16 associate members. Mission: NCSBN provides education, service and research through collaborative leadership to promote evidence-based regulatory excellence for patient safety and public protection.