Since 2005, when its Drug Distributor Accreditation program (formerly Verified-Accredited Wholesale Distributors® (VAWD®)) was introduced, the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®) has partnered with state and federal regulators as well as customers to help protect the United States prescription drug and medical device supply chain. Over time, not only has the supply chain evolved, but so too have the needs of regulators and industry. Particularly following the launch of NABP’s OTC Medical Device Distributor Accreditation, the Association has been in a unique position to understand these needs and, accordingly, adapt the path to accreditation.
In an effort to streamline the application process, distributor accreditation applicants will complete an on-site inspection as a prerequisite for our Drug Distributor and OTC Medical Device Distributor Accreditations.
Effective January 2022, distributor accreditations will no longer include an on-site visit. Instead, all new and reaccreditation applicants must first complete a Supply Chain Inspection before submitting an accreditation application. This enables applicants to better gauge their readiness to meet accreditation program requirements before they consider pursuing accreditation. It also enables a faster accreditation process for facilities that perform well on their inspection.
New and reaccreditation applicants enjoy the following benefits:
- Defined timeline for the Supply Chain Inspection;
- Detailed inspection report with the inspector’s observations of the facility that may satisfy state regulatory inspections and accreditation requirements; and
- Identified timeline for determining your facility’s eligibility to pursue distributor accreditation.
The new path to accreditation is simple; follow these steps to apply.
- Complete the accreditation and inspection program application in NABP e-Profile.
- When completing the application, select both Supply Chain Inspection and the distributor accreditation program(s) of interest.
- Applicants applying with the new process qualify for a discount. Before submitting your application in step 1, contact NABP to receive a discount code for your facility’s inspection.
- Include “Distributor Inversion Discount Code” in the subject line of your email.
- Submit your application.
- An inspection will be performed within approximately eight weeks (pending blackout dates, natural events, etc) after a facility’s application is considered complete. The inspection report results will determine your facility’s eligibility to pursue accreditation. Read more about ineligibility here.
Sign up to access our on-demand webinar with more details about the new accreditation process.
If your facility submits a new application or reaccreditation application between October 1 and December 31, 2021, you have a choice:
- Proceed using the current process: Select only the Drug Distributor Accreditation option when you apply. Then NABP will conduct an on-site visit for your facility’s accreditation or reaccreditation.
- Proceed using the new process: Select both programs (Supply Chain Inspection and Drug Distributor Accreditation) when you apply. NABP will conduct an inspection prior to considering your facility for accreditation or reaccreditation. Applicants using the new process will receive a discount code to cover the cost of the accreditation survey.
Contact the NABP accreditation team at email@example.com if you have questions.