Home Infusion Therapy
NABP’s Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation meets a new requirement by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Starting in January 2021, pharmacies billing CMS for the administration of home infusion therapy services in a patient’s home must hold an accreditation from a CMS-approved organization to be eligible to bill home infusion therapy services to Medicare Part B.
NABP has been awarded deeming status as an accrediting organization of Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation is a three-year accreditation best suited for pharmacies currently providing qualifying home infusion therapy services in a patient’s home and getting reimbursed or those that want to start billing and need the framework to begin. While CMS defines multiple skilled professionals as eligible to be qualified home infusion therapy suppliers, NABP focuses solely on licensed pharmacies.
Whether NABP accreditation is new for your business or you are already NABP accredited and are looking to expand your portfolio, our processes simplify your journey toward Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation.
Apply for Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation as a stand-alone program or maximize your investment by creating a comprehensive compliance package for one streamlined, cost-effective accreditation process.
How do I get started?
The first step in the process is to confirm that the program meets your pharmacy’s needs and that your pharmacy is able to demonstrate compliance with the eligibility requirements, standards, and on-site survey. Once you deem you are ready for accreditation, you will need to apply. Once your application, supplemental documentation, and specified fees have been received, we will:
Review your supplemental documentation
Verify pharmacy and pharmacist licensure
Conduct an unannounced on-site survey of your pharmacy
Looking for additional help to get started?
Consider preparing for the accreditation process by attending a complimentary training from NABP Solutions on pharmacy or drug supply chain compliance. NABP Solutions is a subsidiary company of NABP that was created to provide consulting services to pharmacies and the drug supply chain that focus on regulatory compliance.
Interested in learning more?
Practices that demonstrate compliance and high-quality patient care can earn this voluntary accreditation and better position their business to patients. Complete the accreditation form to request more information.
To apply for an NABP accreditation, businesses must meet basic eligibility requirements. To avoid unnecessary delays, review the Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation eligibility requirements below to determine if you are qualified to apply.
- Must be a licensed pharmacy operating in the United States, with current and active licenses in good standing, in all jurisdictions in which it is conducting business (unless licensure is not required by law) and serving predominately human patients
- Business location must not be a personal residence, and must be operational in all its activities for at least 30 days and in compliance with all state regulations, laws, and rules applicable to the business
- Business must have a licensed pharmacist (ie, responsible person/pharmacist-in-charge) in full and actual charge of the pharmacy operations and personnel
- The pharmacy must provide home infusion therapy professional services in a patient’s home
- The pharmacy must furnish infusion therapy to individuals with acute or chronic conditions requiring administration of home infusion drugs (§486.505)
- The pharmacy must ensure the safe and effective provision and administration of home infusion therapy on a 7-day-a-week, 24-hour-a-day basis (§486.505)
NABP advises applicants to not complete the application if their business location had an application cancelled by NABP in the past 180 days for non-compliance with Standards.
The Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation Standards Overview provides a brief introduction to the set of standards a pharmacy must meet to achieve accreditation. Download the Home Infusion Therapy Pharmacy Accreditation Standards Overview document.
Get started on your path to accreditation by following the steps below:
- Confirm your eligibility
- Review the Standards Summary to confirm that the program meets your business’s needs
- Create and complete a business e-Profile account:
- Gather appropriate supporting documents
- Submit the application for one or multiple accreditations
Use the link to log in to NABP e-Profile and start the application process. For basic instructions on submitting your application, read the Application Basics document.
Interested in pricing?
Log in to your business e-Profile account and visit the FAQs and Resources section to access pricing. Don’t have an account? Create your free business e-Profile account today.