The American Pharmacists Association (APhA), American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP), and National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) hosted an invitation-only event on Wednesday, June 21, 2023, to discuss pharmacy workplace conditions. “Implementing Solutions Summit: Building a Sustainable, Healthy, Pharmacy Workforce and Workplace” convened members of the pharmacy workforce from all pharmacy settings to identify key actions that will improve workplace conditions by addressing day-to-day challenges, removing obstacles to well-being, and advancing practice models for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. The Summit built upon previous conferences, consensus statements, and recommendations with the specific intent to generate solutions and actions.
The Solutions Summit was centered around five themes: practice advancement, mental health, workforce, regulations and requirements, and technology and workflow efficiencies. Participants discussed next steps and identified actionable solutions to implement that:
- Ensure psychological and physical safety of the pharmacy workforce.
- Determine employer accountability for ensuring workplace conditions that support well-being of the pharmacy workforce.
- Advance technology and workflow efficiencies that balance resources, workload, and cognitive load.
- Minimize overly restrictive regulations and requirements while allowing for flexible and innovative policies supportive of new and emerging patient care models.
- Recruit, retain, and empower an engaged and equitable pharmacy workforce.
- Identify sustainable practice model advancements that offer patient-centered professional autonomy and flexibility.
Proceedings of the Solutions Summit will be disseminated from each organization in the near future.
APhA is the only organization advancing the entire pharmacy profession. Our expert staff and strong volunteer leadership, including many experienced pharmacists, allow us to deliver vital leadership to help pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians find success and satisfaction in their work and advocate for changes that benefit them, their patients, and their communities. For more information, please visit pharmacist.com.
ASHP is the largest association of pharmacy professionals in the United States, representing 60,000 pharmacists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians in all patient care settings, including hospitals, ambulatory clinics, and health-system community pharmacies. For over 80 years, ASHP has championed innovation in pharmacy practice, advanced education and professional development, and served as a steadfast advocate for members and patients. In addition, ASHP is the accrediting body for pharmacy residency and technician training programs and provides comprehensive resources to support pharmacy professionals through every stage of their careers. For more information, visit ashp.org and ASHP’s consumer website, SafeMedication.com.
NABP is the independent, international, and impartial Association that assists its member boards in protecting the public health. Visit nabp.pharmacy to learn more.