Delegates from the member boards of pharmacy adopted six resolutions during the 117th National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP®) Annual Meeting, held virtually on May 13-14, 2021. The resolutions addressed the following:
- encouraging states to continue to allow pharmacists to provide point-of-care testing and vaccinations post-pandemic and plan for future pandemics and other natural disasters;
- convening a work group to review all provisions waived by the state boards of pharmacy during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) public health emergency and amend, if necessary, the Model State Pharmacy Act and Model Rules of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy;
- continuing to educate policymakers about the complexities of purchasing drugs outside the current drug supply chain model and ensuring boards of pharmacy can reasonably fulfill requirements for protecting patient safety and properly overseeing importation programs;
- convening a task force to examine pharmacy workplace safety and well-being and the effects on patient safety; and
- convening a task force to encourage and support member state boards of pharmacy in the transition to a “just culture” type of regulatory approach that addresses the identification and resolution of medication errors and to identify resources to assist the boards of pharmacy and other stakeholders in this transition.
Additionally, a recognition resolution honoring members of the Association who have passed away was unanimously approved.
The complete text of the approved resolutions is available in the About section of the NABP website under Annual Meeting.