NABP is closely monitoring the effects of coronavirus (COVID-19) on our scheduled surveys and inspections.
Accreditation and Inspection Applicants
As some states and geographic areas begin to ease restrictions and reopen, we are monitoring and applying current federal, state, and local guidelines and recommendations to determine how to safely conduct surveys and inspections.
We are NOT currently performing surveys or inspections in the following states:
- New Jersey
- South Dakota
State List Updated September 13, 2021 – The list will be updated as additional states allow surveys and inspections to be conducted. Reference the list again at a later date if your state is listed. We will contact facilities in locations where a survey or inspection may occur.
On July 2, 2020, we provided requirements to all accreditation and inspection customers that would need to be met to resume onsite surveys and inspections due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These published requirements are being updated and are as follows.
We will continue to monitor federal, state, and local guidelines and follow CDC recommendations. Once we determine it is safe for our staff or contractors to go into the facility, the following requirements apply.
- The facility must provide a written attestation prior to the onsite survey or inspection that states the facility is complying with our COVID-19 requirements.
- The facility has written description of the methods in place to detect and prevent the spread of COVID-19. We reserve the right to request and review the written descriptions.
- During the onsite survey or inspection all facility employees that may come in contact with our staff or contractors will wear face coverings and practice social distancing when possible.
- If a facility has verified (ie, seen the vaccination card) all onsite employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, we will grant an exception to this requirement.
- Once the facility receives notification that the onsite survey or inspection will take place, the facility must report the number of any potential or known COVID-19 cases to us and the date it became known. Names and other personal information should not be provided.
- If the facility becomes aware of any potential or confirmed COVID-19 cases within 10 days after the survey or inspection is complete, the facility must report them to us and include known or estimated dates of infection or exposure.
- We will continue to monitor and publish any state that is not approved for onsite surveys and inspections.
- We will continue to implement processes to evaluate more applicant materials and processes in advance of the survey and inspection to limit time in the facility.
- During the onsite survey or inspection all of our staff or contractors will wear face coverings and practice social distancing when possible.
- If the facility verifies directly with our staff or contractor that they are fully vaccinated and the facility approves of them not having face coverings while onsite, NABP will grant an exception to this requirement.
- Our staff and contractors will adhere to any additional safety measures established by the facility if requested prior to employee/contactor travel.
- Our staff and/or contractor will notify the facility of any COVID-19 cases or exposures 10 days prior to and 10 days after the onsite survey or inspection including known or estimated dates of infection or exposure.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a fluid situation; consequently, the above requirements are subject to change and we reserve the right to not conduct an inspection or survey at its own discretion.
Contact the Accreditation and Inspection Programs department at 847/391-4539 with any questions or visit the Programs page for additional information.