The Pharmacy Curriculum Outcomes Assessment (PCOA) is a comprehensive tool used by the schools and colleges of pharmacy to measure student performance in United State pharmacy curricula. The video below will help you better understand the PCOA and the necessary steps that must be completed before test day.
Registering to Test
Your school or college will notify you when it is time to register for the PCOA. After receiving the notification, you can complete registration using a two-step process. You must register by the deadline for the appropriate testing window.
- November 11, 2019 – December 13, 2019, student registration deadline is September 12, 2019. Accommodation request deadline is September 27, 2019.
- January 13, 2020 – February 15, 2020, student registration and accommodation request deadline is November 14, 2019.
- April 6, 2020 – May 16, 2020, student registration and accommodation request deadline is February 6, 2020.
- June 15, 2020 – June 27, 2020, student registration and accommodation request deadline is April 16, 2020.
- August 17, 2020 – September 12, 2020, student registration and accommodation request deadline is June 18, 2020.
- November 9, 2020 – December 12, 2020, student registration and accommodation request deadline is September 10, 2020.
Step One: Create an NABP e-Profile
An NABP e-Profile is where you will register for the PCOA and manage all your NABP programs and services. Click here to create a login. After logging in, you can set up your e-Profile. When creating an e-Profile:
- Ensure that the name you provide matches your state-issued photo ID. This includes first, middle, and last names, as well as any suffixes.
- Have your social security number accessible. If you do not have a social security number, consult this FAQ.
- If you are a pharmacy technician, update your profession in your e-Profile to pharmacy student or pharmacy intern.
If you already have an e-Profile and confirmed the information is correct, skip to step two.
Step Two: Register
Log in to your e-Profile, select Exam Services, and click ‘Register’ on the PCOA tile. Complete the registration form and make sure to enter your education information correctly. To change education information, you will have to go through NABP Customer Engagement.
Once your registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. If you did not see a confirmation email, you can confirm that you have registered at any time in your e-Profile.
NABP abides by all applicable federal and state regulations relating to the testing of eligible individuals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and amendments (ADAA). To ensure the security and integrity of the assessment, NABP will evaluate accommodation requests. To submit an accommodation request, complete the following steps:
- Download the Testing Accommodations Request Form.
- Complete Part I: Individual/Candidate Statement.
- Have your practitioner complete Part II.
- Submit the form to your school/college of pharmacy, who will complete Part III.
- The school/college of pharmacy will submit the completed form to NABP for review.
Preparing for the Assessment
You can prepare for test day by familiarizing yourself with the PCOA content areas and taking the PCOA practice exam. The practice exam includes 50 questions to help you become familiar with the exam format.
A link to the practice exam will be sent 14 days prior to the PCOA administration. The email comes from email@example.com. It includes a link to download the WebLock browser and a test code to access the practice exam.
If you do not receive the email with the test code, complete the following steps and then contact your school administrator:
- Check your junk/spam and deleted folders for the e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Verify that you are checking the inbox of the email address you entered on your NABP e-Profile.
IMPORTANT: If you are told you will be taking the PCOA on a personal device, you are required to download the WebLock browser, even if you are not taking the practice exam. You will need WebLock to take the practice exam and PCOA. The browser will only launch upon logging into these exams. Download WebLock: https://weblock.fasttestweb.com.
Taking the Assessment
To ensure that assessment results for all students are earned under comparable conditions and represent fair and accurate measurement of each student’s individual knowledge and skills, it is necessary to maintain a standardized and secure testing environment. Refer to this video for more information on what to expect at the test center on test day.
Bring only necessary personal belongings to the PCOA session. We provide a list of permitted and prohibited items in the Help section. All items are subject to inspection for assessment security purposes.
A place for you to store personal items will be designated by your school administrator either inside or outside of the testing room. It is not the responsibility of the proctor company to safeguard the designated area for your personal belongings.
Remember to bring these items on test day:
- Your state-issued ID
- Your personal laptop with WebLock installed, if your school requires you to use your personal device
You will have three hours to complete the assessment. There is no scheduled break, but you may ask to use the restroom during the test. You may leave after completing the assessment and when excused by the proctor, who will confirm that you closed out of the assessment properly.
Schools and colleges with 19 or fewer students may administer the PCOA online via ProctorU. If you are taking the test online, view this video for more information.
Report Exam Irregularity
NABP examinations are administered under strict security measures, and information on suspected examination irregularities, acts of unethical behavior, and breaches of security can be reported to NABP using the Exam Incident Report Form.