Temporary or Emergency Licensure Facilitated by NABP Passport
NABP Passport is a temporary authorization that facilitates pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, interns, and pharmacy businesses practicing in another state. The program was developed in response to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), and it allows states to efficiently grant temporary or emergency licensure.
Boards of Pharmacy
The boards can leverage NABP Passport in two ways.
- Recognize NABP Passport as a designation for temporary practice – Boards direct non-resident individuals and businesses requesting temporary/emergency licensure to apply for the NABP Passport. NABP will screen applications and issue the NABP Passport to approved applicants. NABP Passport holders will be granted temporary/emergency licensure. Boards can view and track NABP Passport activity in e-Profile Connect.
- Require NABP Passport as a pre-requisite for temporary or emergency licensure – Boards may direct non-resident individuals and businesses requesting temporary/emergency licensure to first apply for the NABP Passport. NABP will screen applications and provide them to the applicable boards. The NABP Passport is issued to applicants after any necessary board approvals. NABP Passport holders will not be granted temporary/emergency licensure until the board reviews the applicant information and grants licensure based on state requirements in e-Profile Connect.
Individuals and Businesses Seeking an NABP Passport
Individuals and businesses face the prospect of seeking multiple non-resident temporary licenses as part of the COVID-19 pandemic response. NABP Passport provides centralized submission and tracking of emergency license requests and reduces the burden on individuals and businesses that will be relied upon to ensure continuity of patient care and increased access to medications. To apply for the NABP Passport:
- Pharmacists must have at least one license (active and in good standing).
- Pharmacy technicians must have a license/registration or hold a certification from PTCB or CPhT.
- Interns may apply if the state licenses/registers interns and the state has included interns in their emergency declarations.
- Pharmacy businesses may apply if the state has included these entities in their emergency declarations and they have obtained an e-Profile for their business.
Receiving the NABP Passport for non-resident temporary licensure is simple:
- After checking the board websites for pre-requisites or restrictions, submit state-specific requests for an NABP Passport through e-Profile.
- To ensure efficient processing of your Passport request, your e-Profile must include all licenses/registrations you hold and they must be up to date (valid expiration date, etc). Incomplete e-Profiles will result in a longer processing time.
- NABP will receive your request and conduct screening, including license verification and disciplinary history, on behalf of the boards.
- If you meet the necessary requirements, you will be notified via email and the NABP Passport will be posted to your e-Profile.
- The NABP Passport allows you to practice in states that recognize the Passport.
Note: When submitting your request, only select those states where you are seeking temporary licensure. Do not select states where you currently hold a license.
View the NABP Passport FAQs for additional program information.
States that recognize the NABP Passport
All states listed below accept NABP Passport for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. States that also allow NABP Passport for interns and/or pharmacy businesses are noted below.
- Arizona (interns, pharmacy business)
- District of Columbia
- Idaho (interns, pharmacy business)
- Kentucky (pharmacists only)
- Louisiana (interns, pharmacy business)
- Massachusetts (interns)
- North Carolina
- South Dakota (interns, pharmacy business)
- West Virginia (interns)
License verifications for the NABP Passport will be conducted at no cost to the applicant or the boards of pharmacy. NABP will monitor emergency declarations and update the status of each COVID-19 authorization in accordance with the direction of the states.